Friday, March 12, 2021

Teach Me to Pray

"Lord, teach us to pray just as John taught his disciples." He said to them, "When you pray, say:
Father, hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come.
Give us each day our daily bread
and forgive us our sins
for we ourselves forgive everyone in debt to us,
and do not subject us to the final test."

 Sometimes words fail me. 

I want to comfort a friend. I need to say I'm sorry. I'm desperate to convey my love. I long to make you smile. 

But words fail me. 

Luckily, I don't need to figure it out alone. I can look to others for ideas and wisdom. Finding the perfect quote, the best movie line, the most heart-wrenching poem, the spot-on GIF, often bridges the gap between intention and my own power to explain. 

This is how I think about traditional or formal prayer. 

Traditional prayers are those we may memorize or "take to heart." The Lord's Prayer comes from Jesus in Scripture. Other prayers were written by saints and holy people throughout time. Each of these speaks to the writer's own beautiful and meaningful God experience. As I pray their words, I find comfort for my own needs or depth to my own delight. 

Knowing these prayers have crossed the lips of countless others for many generations reminds me that I am not alone. The universality of this human experience gives me perspective on my own needs, and hopes, and fears. We all seek comfort, express anger, cry out in pain, and burst with joy. 

Nothing replaces a personal relationship with God. Speaking my heart will always be a desired form of prayer. 

But when words fail me, and even sometimes when they don't, traditional prayer is a beautiful bridge.

The Prayer of Saint Francis

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.

O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled as to console,
To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love;
For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
It is in dying to self that we are born to eternal life.


No comments:

Post a Comment