Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Lectio Divina

"We speak to God when we pray; we listen to Him when we read the Scriptures." ~Saint Ambrose


I confess...reading the Bible has not been a regular part of my prayer life. Growing up, I primarily listened to Scripture read from the Lectionary at Mass. 

As an adult, I have often relied on Scripture for targeted guidance. I would do a kind of "word search" for topics like worry, fear, patience, peace

Then I came across the following in a book I was reading:

"Not what we want to pray is important, but what God wants us to pray...The richness of the Word of God ought to determine our prayer, not the poverty of our heart. ~Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Psalms 

This quote gave me pause. I still believe there is value in searching Scripture for words to soothe your soul in times of need, but I also want inspiration for what I don't yet know. I long for less of my intention and more of God's. 

Enter Lectio Divina.

Lectio Divina means divine reading. It's a practice rooted in the Benedictine tradition combining slow, meditative reading of biblical or sacred text with contemplation and silent prayer. It's meant to draw us into a personal relationship with God and transform us by his love

Traditionally, the four movements of Lectio Divina are:

  • READ (Lectio) Read a small section of text (one or two verses) slowly and deliberately. Read the text at least twice. Benedictine manner suggests reading four times. Ask: What does this text say?
  • MEDITATE (Meditatio) Notice what words, phrases, images, or memories have come to mind. Be open to receiving meaning, not assigning meaning. What is the Holy Spirit leading you to understand? Ask: What does this text say to me? 
  • PRAY (Oratio) This step is very personal and flows from the previous meditation. You may be lead to thank God, ask God for something, or praise God. Ask: What do I want to say to God through this text? 
  • CONTEMPLATION (Contemplatio) Rest in the thoughts and experiences this prayer has given. Ask: How might this text make a difference in my life?

This is the most formal and traditional version of this form of prayer. There are many variations. I will share some others in the coming days. 

"Call to me, and I will answer you; I will tell you great things beyond the realm of your knowledge." Jeremiah 33:3



No comments:

Post a Comment