Friday, March 26, 2021

Enough

I praise you, because I am wonderfully made; wonderful are your works! ~Psalm 139:14

I am enough.

Some very wise friends of mine have made this their mantra. If you knew them, you might be surprised that they would need to say these words aloud. To mark the phrase as a real and present reminder. Why? Because these friends are amazing. And yet, they still need to be reminded that they are enough.

I don't think they are unique in this need. In fact, I imagine that many of us suffer from a kind of imposter syndrome. We struggle in our work, our relationships, our own private thoughts to believe that who we are is enough. 

Perhaps this is a by-product of our consumer culture. Maybe it's some deeply planted seed that stems from generations of thought. It could be social pressures or family trauma. Perhaps it's all of these and none of these at the same time. 

What we have decided, my friends and I, is that we may not be able to root out the cause but we can most definitely influence the effect. 

We build each other up. We give witness to one another's pain and we celebrate one another's joy. We don't try to solve problems as much as honor that the burden exists. Mostly, we remind one another, again and again, that each of us is enough.

If you need to hear it today, let me be that friend for you.

You. Are. Enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment