Saturday, March 27, 2021

Notice

Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. ~Camille
Pissaro

Tomorrow is Palm Sunday, the start of Holy Week. During these days, we walk with Jesus through the final moments of his life on earth. Each year, I try to find new and different ways to approach this time. 

It occurred to me that this will be our second journey through a Holy Week in this pandemic. Last year we had just taken our first steps. This year we are miles beyond with still a distance to go. So what would I have wanted to tell the me of 2020 on the day before Palm Sunday? What wisdom from this year would I give? 

My advice would be simple...notice. 

In the aftermath of big life events, whether tragic or joyful, I believe we share a nearly universal response--I wish I had paid attention. I wish I had noticed all that was happening around me. 

For this Holy Week, I invite you to notice.

Key in on a word or phrase in Scripture that has never struck you before. Slow your steps and recognize the particular color of the sky or the smell of the budding trees. Listen for the emotion in a friend's voice. Feel the texture of a loved one's hand. Savor the taste of your daily meals. Rest in the quiet of morning before dawn.

In whatever way this word speaks to you in your life this week, notice. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment