Friday, March 5, 2021

Prelude...Promise

"Everything is prelude, stepping stone, and promise." ~Hildegard of Bingen

I recently came across the term "learned optimism." I found this concept intriguing because in the habitat of my mind, optimism is not a creature that naturally resides. I often expect the worst. 

But I like the idea that I can learn this way of being. 

I am a work in progress. 

It's good to remind myself that I never stop becoming. Each day truly is a prelude, a promise. It can be easy to forget this simple lesson. Even if I am unable to change my circumstances, I can change my perspective. I can learn to see things through new eyes. 

Nothing is static. Spirit is moving.

What are you struggling with today? 
Is there some part of this struggle that you can change? 
What other ways might you frame it? 
If you woke tomorrow to discover your burdens were actually gifts, how would you be different? 

Prelude, stepping stone... promise.

"But this I will call to mind;
therefore I will hope:
The Lord's acts of mercy are not exhausted,
his compassion in not spent;
They are renewed each morning--
great is your faithfulness!
The Lord is my portion, I tell myself,
therefore I will hope in him."

Lamentations 3:21–24

 


No comments:

Post a Comment