Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Patience for the Journey

"But with their patience worn out by the journey, the people complained against God and Moses..." Numbers 21:4-5

This verse seems written for our present moment. I feel the first few words in every cell of my being. 

My patience is truly worn out by the journey. 

So much is said to be on the cusp of change. News stories predict an end in sight. There are lights in the proverbial tunnels. But I'm still standing on the far end and squinting for that glow. My ability to keep calm in the midst of disappointment, distress, and suffering is understandably wearing thin.

"Waiting and hoping is a hard thing to do when you've already been waiting and hoping for almost as long as you can bear it." ~Jenny Nimmo, Charlie Bone and the Time Twister
Science tells us that patience is modifiable. We can build it like a muscle. Reframing situations to find a different way of seeing things, practicing mindfulness to ground ourselves, and being grateful are exercises to try. 

But in this particular moment, standing empty and worn out, we could benefit by adding the spiritual aspect of patience to the equation. 

Patience is one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit. It's a visible act, an observable behavior that results from allowing the grace of Spirit to be effective in us. In other words, we aren't in this patience thing alone.  

Waiting with grace enables us to live in this world and still have hope. Spirit makes possible what is impossible on our own. So as we wind through what we hope will be the final days of this pandemic journey, consider asking yourself:

  • What seems impossible today?
  • What am I telling myself about this situation?
  • How could I see this struggle differently? Can I reframe it? 
  • What am I grateful for that this experience has brought to my life? 
  • Are there signs that Spirit is working through me, giving me the grace to wait? 
  • How am I asking Spirit for help? Am I open to the change that comes from my request? 
I hope you choose patience. Even when you are overwhelmed by unknowns. When someone cannot give you answers, when you begin to wonder why you're here, when you simply want to give up: be patient. ~Kirsten Robinson, Evergreen

No comments:

Post a Comment