Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Breathe

The Lord will fight for you; you have only to keep still. ~Exodus 14:14

Being still does not come naturally to me. I'm trying out my third meditation app. Perhaps it's me, not them.

The biggest hurdle is quieting my mind. I think that's a pretty common issue. My experience is not that unique. Many of the guided meditations I've used invite me to focus on my breath. This gets in my head and leads me to think about breathing. 

What I've discovered is the more I think about breathing, the harder it is to breathe. I've almost hyperventilated by trying to breathe. Then today I heard a really profound but simple statement.  

The body breathes. 

You may be confused by my amazement at such an obvious and simple fact. But what a miracle! The body breathes whether you think about it or (and even more effectively) whether you don't. 

Struggle is a by-product of overthinking. Ask any athlete who suddenly decides to focus on a swing or a pitch, a kick or a release. We end up with paralysis by analysis.

I think the same can be true in our faith life. We start the Lenten season with a list of ways we will transform our prayer life. We make intentions to change our habits and behaviors. We put a lot of focus on our own actions. Inevitably life happens and we get sidetracked. We lose steam and feel defeated. 

The lesson here is we can't think our way into a better relationship with God. We can't fight our way into holiness. Habits and intentions are tools, and those practices certainly offer opportunities for growth. But in the end, the more we think about God, the harder it can be to feel and truly know God. In stillness, comes a profound insight.  

Spirit breathes.

In us, through us, all the time...Spirit breathes. We have only to keep still. 

No comments:

Post a Comment