Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Saint Patrick

I arise today, through
God's strength to pilot me,
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me, 
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me, 
God's shield to protect me,
God's host to save me. 

Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me. 
                              ~Saint PatrickšŸ€

These words are attributed to Saint Patrick and come from a much longer prayer called The Lorica of Saint Patrick, also known as St. Patrick's Breastplate. 

What I love is that there are two sides to this prayer. First there is gratitude. The very act of getting up and getting through the day is possible because God makes it so. 

The second part of the prayer is about intention. Through my actions, through my words, may all who meet me know Christ. This is a powerful guide for living. It is not through great, grand gestures that we make a difference in the world. It is rather by humility, gratitude, compassion, and kindness. 

May the road
rise up to meet you.
May the wind be
always at your back.
May the sun shine 
warm on your face;
the rains fall soft upon
your fields and until
we meet again,
may God hold you
in the palm of His hand.
~ Traditional Gaelic Blessing

No comments:

Post a Comment