Monday, March 25, 2013

Whom Should I Fear?

The Lord is my light and my salvation.

The first words of today's Psalm present powerful questions of faith.

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
whom should I fear?
The Lord is my life's refuge;
of whom should I be afraid?
Psalm 27

Fear is a tough barrier to break. It seeps into all aspects of life. Fear can creep up on you when you least expect it, producing a kind of anxiety that will literally make you sick. Clearly this is not a new problem. Consider the number of Psalms we've reflected upon just over this Lenten season that had the topic of fear at their heart. We share in this walk with all those who have come before us, each generation trying to find peace and comfort in our anxieties.

During the Communion Rite of a Catholic Mass, after the Lord's Prayer, I am particularly drawn to the words spoken by the priest. He says:

Deliver us, Lord, we pray, from every evil, graciously grant peace in our days, that, by the help of your mercy, we may be always free from sin and safe from all distress, as we await the blessed hope and the coming of our Savior, Jesus Christ.

These last few days of Lent, consider what in your life is causing you distress. Where does fear creep in? How is anxiety affecting who you are and what you do each day? Then ask God to be with you in this moment and walk with you through the fear.

The Lord is my light and my salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment