Thursday, March 7, 2013

I Hear You

If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts

Stubborn. I admit it. I tend to be a bit . . . maybe more than a bit . . . stubborn. I like to do things on my own. In my quest for self-sufficiency, I don't ask for help or receive it well. As I've gotten older, I see more and more the fault in this. I've missed out on many lessons in life because I was convinced I could "figure things out." Sometimes I did. Often times it took far longer than necessary and required much more pain and anguish than needed. If I had simply heard the voices around me offering assistance, or heaven forbid sought them out, I might have moved much more quickly and become far more proficient in many things.

Today's Psalm reminds me of the stubborn soul. Sometimes God speaks, and I am too stubborn to listen.  Surely my way will work out just fine. Often, by God's grace, it does. But man, what a hike! I'm working on releasing some of my stubborn tendencies. When I feel them tighten around me, I consciously try to breathe in openness and melt them away. I want to hear God's voice and listen.

What about you? Are you open to hearing and receiving?

If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment