Friday, March 8, 2013

Small Voices

I am the Lord your God; hear my voice.


Wouldn't it be great if things were that easy, if God just texted or messaged you on Facebook? "Here I am!" It would certainly take away a lot of doubt and confusion.

One of my favorite Old Testament stories is from Kings. Elijah goes to the mount and is waiting for God. First comes the great wind, but God is not in the wind. Then comes the earthquake, still no God. A fire rages, but God is not in the fire. Then finally Elijah hears a still small voice. You guessed it, that's God.

I think in all of us there remains an expectation that God will speak in grand and forceful ways. Somehow it makes the whole spiritual quest seem more romantic. Witness stories are less dramatic when our direction comes in the form of a whisper. But all signs point us in that direction.

Think for a minute, are you in tune enough to hear a still small voice? Or are you walking through life with headphones anticipating the next great wind, earthquake, or fire?

Why is it so difficult to be still and quiet and let God speak to me about the meaning of my life? Is it because I don't trust God? Is it because I don't know God? Is it because I wonder if God is really there for me? Is it because I am afraid of God? Is it because everything else is more real for me than God? Is it because, deep down, I do not believe that God cares what happens at [my] corner? 
Still there is a voice [. . .] 
Can I trust that voice and follow it? It is not a very loud voice, and often it is drowned out by the clamor of the inner city. Still, when I listen attentively, I will hear that voice again and again and come to recognize it as the voice speaking to the deepest places of my heart.
~ Henri Nouwen from Here and Now

I am the Lord your God; hear my voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment