Monday, December 23, 2013

A Wintery Treat with 2 Left

With only two days till Christmas, enjoy a few scenes and words on winter.





In the depth of winter
I finally learned 
that there was in me
an invincible summer.
Albert Camus


 After all, the Earth must wait for spring.
No angel ever changed the pace of time.
Goodness is still tucked away below,
Empty as a field asleep in snow,
Like iron in the harshness of that clime
As God is born in frozen Bethlehem.
                                  © Nicholas Gordon

I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields,
that it kisses them so gently?
And then it covers them up snug, you know,
with a white quilt;
and perhaps says,
"Go to sleep, darlings, till summer comes again."
Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass



"I love to watch the fine mist of the night come on,
The windows and the stars illumined, one by one,
The rivers of dark smoke pour upward lazily,
And the moon rise and turn them silver. I shall see
The springs, the summers, and the autumns slowly pass;
And when old Winter puts his blank face to the glass,
I shall close all my shutters, pull the curtains tight,
And build me stately palaces by candlelight."
Charles Baudelaire, Les Fleurs du Mal

No comments:

Post a Comment