Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Good Advice


Hearing just the right piece of advice at the right moment can do wonders for me. It's like medicine for my soul. Perhaps the reason is I suddenly realize that I'm not alone. Someone else has felt the same way . . . and survived.

Growing up Catholic, I always loved the stories of saints. There was something so romantic and other-worldly about their passion. The stories of their conviction and courage sat me on the edge of my seat like the best adventures.

As I've grown, I now seek a quieter inspiration from these same stories. I look to the writings and thoughts of these men and women, searching for some bits of advice to help me survive the battles and struggles of my own life.

I love this particular one. It soothes the worrying heart.

Do Not Look with Fear

Do not look with fear
on the challenges and chances of this life;
rather look to them with full faith that as they arise,
God--whose you are--will deliver you out of them.

He has kept you hitherto.
Do not but hold fast to His dear hand,
and He will lead you safely through all things;
and when you cannot stand, He will bear you
in His arms.

Do not anticipate what will happen tomorrow.
The same everlasting Father who cares for you today
will take care of you tomorrow and every day.
Either He will shield you from suffering or
He will give you unfailing strength to bear it.

Be at peace then, and put aside all anxious thoughts and imaginations.
~Saint Francis De Sales

No comments:

Post a Comment