Monday, February 28, 2011

Why Are You Anxious?


I'm a worrier by nature. I don't want to be, but it comes so easily. That's why I always enjoy the reassurance of this past Sunday's Gospel.

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink, or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds in the sky; they do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not more important than they? Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span?

I hear these words. I want so much to live them. But I seem to fight an internal voice that desperately wants to argue back, How could I not be anxious? Have you seen my schedule? Do you know how many people depend on me?

Maybe you've had some of these thoughts, or others like, Did you hear about my job? Have you seen my financial situation? Have you met my kids? Do you remember my spouse? Did you hear the diagnosis? Do you know how I feel about myself? What if I fail? What are we supposed to do now?

I find myself wanting to debate Jesus. Then I realize the message doesn't end at the "don't worry" part. If it did, I might be tempted to keep asking questions all day. But the Gospel goes on . . .

Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given you besides. Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself. Sufficient for a day is its own evil.

That "BUT" is the kicker. The way I see it, as long as I'm trying to do it on my own, worrying is part of the deal. BUT, if I seek God's help, peace will follow. God will provide. My part is to get connected and stay connected. The more I seek God, the more that connection and my faith and ability to trust will grow.

I'm a work in progress. How about you?

[Gospel excerpt from Matthew 6:24–34]


No comments:

Post a Comment