Monday, March 7, 2011

Prayer Block


For a writer, there is nothing worse that suffering from writer’s block. For me, it seems to come for two reasons. The first is that I am headed in the wrong direction with an idea, kind of like trying to put a square peg into the proverbial round hole. I can sit and turn that peg a thousand different ways, but it will never fit.

The second, and all more common cause for me, centers on an innate ability to overthink things. I’ve felt the labor pains of crafting a piece of writing only to later discover that most of my work really involved peeling away all the stuff that wasn't really necessary. Once I got out of the way of the words, they came beautifully and bountifully.

Lately I've been thinking that sometimes we can also suffer from prayer block. We feel disconnected from God. It’s a struggle to communicate our deepest fears and innermost thoughts. We go through the motions, but are left feeling like we’re wandering around in the dark.

Maybe, like writer’s block, prayer block occurs because we overthink the purpose and meaning of prayer. We put up a million roadblocks. I don’t know the right words. It’s been so long since I’ve tried. I don’t feel worthy. I don’t even know if God is listening. The more we complicate the path to prayer, the more we feel lost in finding it.

One of the most beautiful parts of the Lenten season is its focus on peeling away all the unnecessary layers we’ve added to our life. We let go all that stands between God and us. We let go of all that we try to craft and control. God doesn’t need us to find the most sacred place to kneel, prepare the finest litany, or craft the perfect prayer. He just wants us to get out of the way of all the fears and insecurities that keep us from him.

As you prepare for Lent, ask yourself what stands between you and God. Are you ready to break free from the prayer blocks in your life?

For me prayer is a surge of the heart, it is a simple look towards Heaven, it is a cry of recognition and of love, embracing both trial and joy.
- Saint Therese of Lisieux

No comments:

Post a Comment