Friday, February 15, 2013

Turning to God




A heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn.

How many times have I been less than sincere when making amends for my wrongs or somewhat flip in the way I ask forgiveness? Certainly there are times I can recall going through the prescribed "motions" to just get beyond an argument or debate. Admit defeat, say I am wrong, and move on. Anything to avoid prolonging an uncomfortable situation.

But Psalm 51:19 reads,
"My sacrifice, God, is a broken spirit;
God, do not spurn a broken, humbled heart."
Phoning it in is not enough.

While man despises what is broken, God does not. God is not surprised by our weakness. From Him, we have nothing to hide. How can you open yourself to God this Lent? Have you built walls of insincerity, pretending to be what you are not? Are there problem areas in your life that you have avoided? How might your life be different if you turned these over to God?

A heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn.

No comments:

Post a Comment