Monday, February 25, 2013

I Am Worthy

Lord, do not deal with us according to our sins.


How often do you identify yourself by your mistakes? Do you see your flaws and inadequacies first? It's often like this when we think of our spiritual side. We confront first those things we should do and list easily those we don't do very well.

"I don't give enough of my time to others. I don't attend Mass regularly. I'm not really a very good Catholic. I don't remember all the prayers. It's been forever since I went to confession. I'm not the kind of person the Church wants. I'm not the kind of person God wants."

We look first to our sins. We define ourselves by what we believe we are not. Then we deny ourselves a relationship with God because we have predetermined that we are not worthy.

Today's response is aimed at asking God to not look first at our sins. In truth, it's far more likely that we are the ones allowing our sins to separate us from him. Jesus always welcomed the sinner.

While he was at table in his house, many tax collectors and sinners came and sat with Jesus and his disciples. "The Pharisees saw this and said to his disciples, "Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" He heard this and said, "Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do. Go and learn the meaning of the words, I desire mercy not sacrifice. I did not come to call the righteous but sinners.  ~ Matthew 9:10–13

Are you separating yourself from God? Why do you feel you are not worthy of his love and mercy? He is waiting to welcome you. Do not let your own fears or the judgments of others keep you from him a moment longer.

Lord, do not deal with us according to our sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment