Monday, June 20, 2011

Detours


Do you ever find yourself looking in a mirror and wondering what it is you are meant to do next? I know I have . . . on more than one occasion. Funny how life ebbs and flows. One day I know exactly where I'm headed and move with full force only find myself the next day turning sharply, slowing to a crawl, or stopping altogether. Trust me, I don't tend to be a fan of these detours. I'm a mover and live with a strong sense that time is too short and too precious to waste. More often than not, I have viewed these questioning times, these detours and direction changes as wastes of time. But as I grow older, I'm starting to see these moments as anything but wastes of time. In fact, I'm slowly learning these are some of the most fruitful and precious times in my life. Why you ask? Because these are the times when I give up my sense of control and let God unfold his plan. These are times when I allow Him to guide my next step.

Blessed John Paul II said it well,

God calls us and sends us forth as laborers in His vineyard. He calls us and sends us forth to work for the coming of His Kingdom in history. In fact, from eternity God has thought of each of us and has loved us as unique individuals. Every one of us He has called by name. However, only in the unfolding of the personal history of our lives and its events is the eternal plan of God revealed to each of us. It is a gradual process; one that happens day by day.

What a beautiful reassurance that there is no such thing as wasted time when we are truly living in harmony with God. Those detours are just a new revelation. Like each petal of a rose, the next unfolding reveals a bit more of the beautiful, complete flower. We too are in a constant state of unfolding. What do the detours in your life reveal about God's eternal plan for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment