Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Change Isn't Easy


I mentioned a week or so ago that I would spend some time over the next few Wednesdays sharing specific changes that Catholics will notice at Mass as we start using a newly revised Roman Missal beginning Advent 2011. From this point on, we shall call this recurring feature ROMBOC (ROman Missal BOot Camp). I personally think everything sounds more interesting and fun when given an acronym.

During these months leading to the transition, training is taking place to acquaint priests, music ministers, and other liturgical leaders with how the changes will impact the Liturgy. You may begin noticing opportunities within your own parish for formation of parishioners to help ensure the successful implementation of the new text. If not, you'll find these Wednesday sessions will ensure you're not caught off guard on the last weekend of November.

So, let's begin with a couple of examples of what the changes will actually look like.

Mass begins with the Greeting spoken by the priest. We're used to responding "And also with you," to the priest's "The Lord be with you." In the new missal, our response will change to "And with your spirit." This will change will recur each time we are prompted with "The Lord be with you," throughout the Mass.

Another change relates to the Confiteor, the prayer we pray at the beginning of Mass to confess our sins. The new words relate more closely to the Latin, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. (I personally can't say these words without hearing Jimmy Buffet sing them in my head. All those familiar with the Fruitcakes album will understand this reference!)

Here is the revised Penitential Act, Form A

I confess to almighty God
and to you, my brothers and sisters,
that I have greatly sinned
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done
and in what I have failed to do,
through my fault, through my fault,
through my most grievous fault;

therefore I ask blessed Mary ever-Virgin,
all the Angels and Saints,
and you, my brothers and sisters,
to pray for me to the Lord our God.

Take some time to reflect on how these changes feel. They might seem a bit disorienting at first, but be patient with yourself. Consider this, perhaps the new language will help you refocus your thoughts and reflect more deeply on the meaning behind the words. Change is rarely easy, but it is often good.



No comments:

Post a Comment