Tuesday, February 23, 2021

On Becoming


 

"Every creature is a word of God and a book about God." 

                                Meister Eckhart


Lent is a season of contemplation. I find it no accident that it's also a season of change, of turning. We move from winter to spring, death to new life. This is a time of revelation. 

Revelation isn't always easy and certainly not always pleasant. Sometimes what is revealed about me doesn't make me feel particularly proud. I turn a corner and run into jealousy, envy, anger, judgment. How could I be a book about God when these characters get to play a role? 

The good news is that we are in a constant state of becoming. Our stories are still being told and we are part of the telling. Believe in your possibilities, pick up your pen, and write your next page. 


                "Yes, it could be that I am a tiny piece 

                        of God, and

                    each of you too, or at least 

                        of his intention and his hope."

                                Mary Oliver, "At the River Clarion"



No comments:

Post a Comment