Saturday, February 20, 2021

Look, Listen, Pray


Photography has been important to me for many years. Taking my camera for a walk grounds me. Through the lens I am gifted with sweet surprises that often feel like miracles. 

I especially love the power of a photograph to speak to each person so individually. What we bring to the image from our own experience and present needs can stir, comfort, discomfort, and even heal us. 


Recently I read about a kind of meditative prayer called Visio Divina. It is a type of contemplative prayer in which you spend time sitting with an image, allowing God to reveal to you some understanding through the art. You may sense a word, an emotion, a memory. You rest in whatever comes.

With so much noise in the world, I want to bring you some opportunities to "see"what God wants to share with you. The meditations always come with photographs that in my heart connect in some way.

I gently encourage you sit with some of them, or take a few of your own.

You may be surprised by the result.




For more information and ideas on how to incorporate the practice of Visio Divina (and many other prayerful experiences) into your life, see Be Kind to Yourself by Cindy Bunch

Here are a couple of other resources on Visio Divina:


No comments:

Post a Comment