Friday, April 2, 2021

In the Quiet

On a recent walk, I came upon a patch of native grassland. It's not a very large area. There's a small pond in the center. As I approached, I could hear the loud sounds of insects and what I believe to be frogs. The sound was so intense it overpowered my headphones. I eagerly moved ahead hoping to enjoy the calls of these creatures up close. 

But when I reached the edge of the preserve, the noises went from deafening to deadly silent in an instant. The difference was shocking. I thought I had imagined the whole thing. Then it occurred to me that the creatures stopped because they sensed my presence. I stayed for a moment, in solidarity with their quiet, and then moved on. Just a few steps out of their way, their chorus resumed.

Today is Good Friday. I meditate on the moments surrounding Jesus' Death. In the time before, I can almost hear the chaos. Sounds of brutality, terror, pain, and sorrow. Crowd noise, soldiers, mourners, victims. And then, the shocking final moment...Jesus' Death. In the seconds after, quiet stillness. I imagine breath held, disbelief. A finality anticipated but a reality unexpected nonetheless. 

It is in this moment of silence that we find ourselves now.

In a few short hours, life will move on. The chorus will resume. 

But for this brief time, we stand in solidarity, together...in the quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment