Thursday, May 12, 2011

Gently, Lord


May is a beautiful time with so much of creation coming back to life. Colors are brighter, spring rains fill the air, and all the birds and insects once again join in chorus. Amid all this excitement in nature, life seems to begin a faster pace, too.

School is wrapping up and along with it come projects, First Communions, Confirmations, final concerts, showcases, Graduations, and a million other little things crammed into the span of a few weeks. It's hard not to lose yourself in all this.

I found this little prayer. It spoke to the crazy, busy person inside me. I hope it will speak to you, as well.

Dear God,
Speak gently in my silence.
When the loud outer noises of my surroundings
and the loud inner noises of my fears
keep pulling me away from you,
help me to trust that you are still there
even when I am unable to hear you.
Give me ears to listen to your small, soft voice saying:
"Come to me, you who are overburdened,
and I will give you rest . . .
for I am gentle and humble of heart."
Let that loving voice be my guide.
Amen.
~Henry Nouwen, from With Open Hands



[Source: With Open Hands by Henry Nouwen. Ave Maria Press; 34th Anniversary edition ©2006]

No comments:

Post a Comment