Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Tenth Station


Jesus is Stripped of His Clothes

We adore You, O Christ, and we praise You.
Because by Your holy Cross You have redeemed the world.

You were paraded through the streets, battered and bruised. Now standing at Your final destination, You are stripped of the last remaining possessions of this world. The robe Your mother lovingly made is no more than bloodied strips of cloth now. Yet still they divide and wager for it.

They stare at me and gloat;
they divide my garments among them
for my clothing they cast lots.
Psalm 22:18

How much more must You withstand, Lord? What remains to be taken away?

Father, I have no possessions in this human world. Even the clothes are now gone from my back. Does it seem more painful because they were brutally taken away? I stand here, in my nakedness, for all who have been stripped of their possessions, their dignity, their self-esteem, and their innocence. Let them know that upon myself I take their shame, their fear, their humiliation, and their loss. Give them hope where none seems possible. I have suffered in their name. Father, give them peace.

We pray. Heavenly Father, the things of this world are so fleeting. In an instant everything can be taken away. So many have suffered because of what they have lost. Lead us to bring comfort and peace to those in need. Help us to remember that we are not what we own or how much we earn. We have worth far beyond value in Your eyes. Even standing stripped of all that is considered valuable and measurable, we are still infinitely precious.

Amen.

[excerpt from Stations of the Cross by Denise Hemrich-Skomer and Fr. Joachim Tyrtania. ©2009. Nihil Obstat: Charles McNamee, J.C.L. Censor Librorum. Imprimatur: Thomas G. Doran, D.D., J.C.D, Bishop of Rockford]


A beautiful acoustic version stripped down to touch your soul . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment